The sun is out here in Cardiff this weekend, and I have been making the most of it by getting lots done in the garden.
Some of the vegetables that we planted earlier in the season are coming along well, and it looks like we’re going to have a bumper crop of garlic, onions and broad beans again this year. I found a space for the rest of the onions yesterday, so we should be getting a second crop of those too!
I had another mass planting session again yesterday. After the slugs and/or snails ate the brussels sprouts and cauliflowers we planted under the closh, I’ve planted the remainder of the seeds into the brassicas bed in the hope that at least something will grow. We don’t have a great track record with brassicas in Plasnewydd garden though, so don’t get your hopes up for a lot of fresh produce from that bed this year.
The fennel seeds are in the ground, soon to be accompanied by the sweetcorn seedlings that Martin started off earlier in the year. I can’t wait for the fennel to grow, we grew some 2 years ago and it tasted so delicious roasted with other vegetables. The new seeds from the plants also make a great salad topping, or a natural alternative to chewing gum.
Just like the sprouts and cauliflowers, the critters in the garden also ate the tomato plants that we started under the closh. When I dug the bed over to plant some directly in the ground, I found a MASSIVE ants nest. So, I’m not convinced that even they are going to survive. In an attempt to beat the slugs and ants, I decided to plant the last packet of tomato seeds into bags. Tomatoes have grown well in the garden in the past, so fingers crossed.
The courgettes are also in. This is a crop we don’t usually have to worry about. When these harvest, everyone in the neighbourhood feels like all they eat for 2 weeks are courgettes!
The last of the beans went in yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems the release of the new Star Wars film has led to an increase in our bamboo sticks being used as light sabres by the local kids. All that remains are shards of bamboo that I find dotted around the garden. Unable to build my normal bamboo structure to grow the runner beans on, I got into the spirit of re-using and came up with a new design with some plastic netting we had left over from a previous project. You can see my efforts to the right of the above photo. And if it doesn’t work for the runner beans, I can always develop a range of obstacle courses for squirrels.
We had our first crop of radishes for the year yesterday! A little girl who visited the garden with her dad took them home for her salad.
So, I’m off to the Edible Adamsdown seedling swap today. I can’t wait to see what I can swap for out sweet williams and strawberries!